Monday, July 9, 2007

The church is true

I remember before I had kids how I would sit in church and watch parents take their child out or a mother standing in a corner holding a baby and thinking - that looks like fun, church would be that much better if I got to "take a break" by taking a kid out or stand and move around with a baby. Oh how wrong I was. Yesterday was one of those horrible, terrible, no good very bad days. All went well in the morning - at least until 9am when our church starts. I'm not sure if Whitney doesn't understand the concept of whispering or if she just doesn't want to - because as much as I try to practice that concept - it sure hasn't worked. I'm pretty sure at least half of the congregation hears everything she says during sacrament meeting! At first I try to stuff her mouth with food - usually fruit snacks, but she downs those by the end of the opening prayer. So then I attempt books and coloring which she loves - but has to comment on everything - loudly. This is really cute everyday of the week except Sunday - and in the car.

This Sunday it didn't help either that Travis has discovered his voice! It's not a soft coo either. He has good lungs and sounds like a terodactyl. He decided to express his dislike for church in a nice high pitched scream-like voice. We of course sat too close to the front so everyone saw us make about 4 trips in and out of the chapel (and that doesn't even included Travis' blow-out before the meeting started). During Sunday School I walked around with an tired Travis outside since Aaron always takes him during Priesthood so I can pay attention in YW- he was not a happy camper, but at least Whitney was happy in Nursery - Until, as she says it, "Mommy I pooped in Nursery." So I got to hear the announcements in YW and then went to change a diaper. But Aaron had taken the car (that held the diapers) for a drive to put Travis to sleep since he was beyond calming. Once we finally located each other there was about 10 min. left in church and I hope I'll be forgiven but I just packed the kids in the car and drove home.

These are the times that I appreciate that I know the church is true. Even though these are painful experiences - the few moments I do have in church to listen - I appreciate hearing a message that strengthens me and reminds me that this too will pass and that it is a blessing to just have two wonderful loud kids. We truly have been blessed with cute, loud children. So in all the bad - there is good, and I'm not just saying that because the day is over! But these are also the days I wonder how people have a lot of kids. Unless they have quiet kids.

Just for your viewing pleasure - here is video of Travis talking/screaming. I had to add the second clip because of the great surprise ending. Oh the joy of my child discovering his voice! Enjoy

2 comments:

Lacy said...

Oh, Mel!!

I was cracking up as I read this! Your kids are so cute! Even if they are loud, I am sure everyone in the congregation is thinking, "oh how cute!"

Christa O'Brien said...

Wow, you have loud kids? I wouldn't have guessed anything related to you would ever be loud! Hahaha...I can only laugh because we go through the same thing week after week after week. William spots someone he knows across the chapel and loves to yell out their name and wave. Natalie thinks Sacrament meeting is a time to show off her gymnastic routine. But, as I complained to my mother recently, she reminded me that she had five very loud children (whatever!) but that it was more important for her to teach her kids where they are supposed to be on Sunday than anything else. Darn mom!