Sunday, December 12, 2010

December Ramblings

What an interesting start to the month I've had. We started off festive: decorating and doing Gingerbread Houses and trains. We had Aaron's Business Christmas Party, where I have completely put to use the present of a Blu-ray player. We had a great Saturday watching Tangled with Grandma and Grandpa and doing lunch. What a great movie!

But lately I've felt a little more like a Martha than a Mary. I get way to focused on cleaning and things that need to get done rather than getting on my knees and playing with my kids. It sometimes seems an impossible job to keep a husband and three kids happy and satisfied while keeping a clean and functional home. Good thing my family is patient with me.

This past Sunday our ward did a fast. Turns out that same day a neighbors 2 month old boy passed away. Things like this make everyone evaluate life. It reemphasized to me that God is in charge, he has a plan, and we need to humble ourselves and submit to that. It has made me think of how we view this time on earth. How different time seems here - how long it feels to wait a "lifetime" to be with a loved one again.

While running Saturday (running is when the endorphins give me a clear mind :)) I concluded that the best way to live life is with gratitude and a positive attitude. As a kid that seemed obvious. Life was a big adventure. It still is to me. But something about age has made those simple things more of a choice than second nature.

I'm so grateful for this season where everything around me reminds me of Christ. I've written a kids book and have an idea for an adult Christmas book swimming/screaming in my head. Problem= I have no time to write it = when will people ever have time during Christmas to read it? Maybe that's more reason to write it and focus on the reason for the season.

Here's some of our Gingerbread making pics. Aaron was patient with me - I got a little too ambitious doing a house and a train. I'll stick to one next time . . . or maybe a gingerbread castle :)






Whitney is still mom #2 - here's her homemade playpen. Her genius ideas inspire me!

Thanks for listening to my ramblings again - that is if anybody reads this. If not, it was nice talking to myself :)

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Good insights, we're excited to see you guys this weekend

Lacy said...

I read it and I loved it! Miss you guys Melanie!

Amy said...

Thanks for your thoughts. It is good to be reminded of the simple things.