Saturday, July 5, 2008

Family Vacation

Last week we took our first family vacation. We have made a lot of trips to G&G Rasmussen & Hoopes' house, but we finally ventured somewhere for an actual vacation. Aaron had a convention in Sun Valley and found an awesome place for us to stay in so we could tag along. Our kids are great sleepers, if they have their own territory. So the fact that this place had three separate sleeping areas made it great. We also were right next to a swimming pool and a never ending bike trail. Friday we traveled up, got settled in, explored, and went swimming. Saturday we put our new children hiking packs to the test. We went on a really pretty hike that overlooked the city. Sun Valley isn't exactly a family oriented town, so we got a lot of long looks and comments about us carrying two children with us on a hike.
Here is us at the top lookout point getting some snacks in.
Whitney even ventured out for a little while and practiced her hiking.
By the end Travis was out. He fell asleep and looked hillarious hanging out of the pack.
It was really fun though and I'm looking forward to going again soon. The rest of our vacation was pretty much biking, swimming, eating, repeat. I got some rollerblading and a carmel apple from the chocolate factory in - so I can't complain. Every day we went swimming, sometimes twice a day, and Whitney got pretty comfortable with the water.
Whitney found a blow-dryer in the drawer and was so funny to always ask if she could blow dry her hair. It just makes me laugh how old she thinks she is.

Since there was no AC in the place, it got pretty hot. I actually took this picture in the dark and got a good laugh when I saw it. This is Travis doing his routine -run away from mom while he's naked and I'm getting his clothes.
I love swimming on vacation. It's a little different with kids. It reminded me of how growing up we really did just swim and play tennis on some vacations. Me and Aaron would always crack up when Whitney would call her goggles gobbles. She was always asking "Where's my gobbles", or "oh - wait - I need my gobbles".
Just chilling on the steps, eating peanuts.

It's so funny how it is always the simple things that are kids' favorite activities. Of everything we did while there their favorite activity was probably riding the bus. Aaron had the idea to ride our bikes (Whitney rode her bike, Aaron rode the ripstick, and I rollerbladed while pushing Travis on his big boy bike) down the slight hill about 3 miles to a bus stop and then ride the bus up. They had so much fun the first time that we did it again before we left. Who, knew, a free bus ride. We really had a great time. It was fun to just hang out and play with the kids and soak up the cute stage that they are at. I wish I could just freeze time at their current stages.

A few more random swimming pics:

No comments: