Last weekend I ran the Wasatch Back - Ragnar Relay. For those who don't know what this is - it's a 12 man team
rely race that starts in Logan and ends in Park City - 182 miles. I heard how much fun this run was and how it was an awesome experience from some woman in our ward recruiting for a team, and so, despite the cost, I gave in (I'm a cheapo - who pays to run?). Each person on the team has three legs. So while the first car of 6 people are running t
hier legs, car 2 gets to rest or eat. I was in car 2, and since I cannot eat and then run anytime soon after, and since we only get about a three hour break before we start running again, it soon became what they call an "experience". Sure, it was fun, just like the idea of having a kid is fun. The idea sounds great, and there are
definite highlights, and a lot of good times, but you never realize how much
stinkin' work it is and how hard it really is until you go through it! And just like having a kid, maybe if I had enough time to forget what I just went through then yes, I'd say I would do it again. Well, for
journaling sake ( this is long!) I will post my times. My first and Second leg the competitive side
definitely got the best of me. This guy from a running club kept trying to pass me and it threw me for a loop. Anyways, the first leg was only 3.5 miles, mostly flat. It was really an easy run
except for that it was 3:30 and 90 degrees outside which drains you way faster than you could imagine. And like I said I ran it a lot faster than my usual slow and steady - due to my pride. I ran it in 28 min. The second leg was my favorite. It was a night run under a full moon at 12:30 at night. It was 6 miles downhill and the last mile up = 7 miler. I loved it, I love running downhill because it takes more effort to go slow than to go fast, so I got to feel like I was a fast runner, that is until that last mile, when reality hits. It was a fun run, but the pounding of downhill for 6 miles
definitely to a toll on my legs. I ran it in 51 min. The last leg I was beat. I had a 5 miler that steadily went uphill. It was in the mid 70's at about 10:30 am. I knew the only way I was going to finish was by going slow and steady - so I was pleasantly surprised to find out I ran it in a 9 minute mile pace. So there you have it - running 16.5 miles in 1 day, at different times. The only word I can use to describe the "experience" is CRAZY. My legs were feeling mostly recovered yesterday and then I played a soccer game which seemed to negate any progress. Hopefully they get some feeling back so we can play while we are in Sun Valley this next week!
7 comments:
Your my HERO. I just got back from the gym running on the tredmill (way easier then outside) and for two min. intervals for a total of 15 min. and I was done. I AM a whimp. YOU ARE A STAR!
All I can think to say is holy crap!
I have to say--thank you for your honesty. I thought that run sounded fun, but I don't think so. I would poop out about mile 2 uphill. ugh. You sounded like you did great. I hope you recover.
Mel you are amazing! A friend just asked me to to run it next year and with a hesitate smile I said well see! Which all moms know is code for Ya right! Thanks for the heads up! Way to go!
Count me in the next time 'round. We can put together a fun team - boring people not allowed.
You are AMAZING and INSANE! Way to go! What a huge accomplishment. If you and Amy put a team together, I will NOT run it but I can be the team cheerleader!
P.S. Our new address is themonkeysandus.blogspot.com
I tried to link back to my blog from yours and you still have our old one. Just thought I'd let you know! :)
Post a Comment