My daughter is definitely . . . one of a kind!! I got ambitious this week and tried to teach Whitney how to read. I pulled out a book that I learned to read on, that my mom gave me. It was really hard reading. For instance the first page said ANN, the next page said, ANN PLAYS, the third page said, BILLY (you get the picture). She can sound the letters out great, but the blending - not so much. I know, I know, she just turned four - but I thought I'd try. After ten minutes trying to get her to say A-nn, really fast to make Ann, I just told her to say Ann, then explained that that word was Ann. The next page - once again starts with Ann.
Me: "Alright Whitney what's this word, sound it out."
Whitney: "I don't know."
Me: "What do you mean you don't know, we just said this word over and over for the last ten minutes!
Needless to say, I gave up. Fast forward two days later, when I became ambitious to try again.
Me: "Whitney do you want to read?"
Whitney "Nah"
Me "Oh come on Whitney. Guess what. I learned to read this book when I was your age, Grandama Rasmussen gave it to us so you could read it."
Whitney "I think you should give it back to Grandma Rasmussen, I don't like it."
I wasn't expecting that comment, and couldn't help but laugh. I don't think we'll try again for a while.
TODAY:
Whitney was crazy all morning - not leaving my side and wanting me to do everything she wanted. Dad came home from basketball to relieve me for a while before I went to play soccer. Aaron informed them that they couldn't come to the game (even though I did say it was ok) because Mom needed a break.
Me "Maybe dad will take you to the playground."
Kids "Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!"
Dad "No, no playground today"
Whitney "Then we can go to mom's game?"
Dad "No, you need to stop bothering your mom and I and go play." (this is after a half an hour of Whitney talking nonstop!)
Whitney: "But if I can't go to Mom's game, and I can't go to the playground, then I won't have anyone to bother!"
Glad she could see the situation clearly. I love that girl!
Fun Box
3 months ago




No comments:
Post a Comment