Sunday, November 23, 2008

Vacationing in Florida

Me and Aaron just went on a child-free, week long vacation to Florida. Aaron had some business to do there, so once again I tagged along and extended the stay. We traveled practically all day Friday. After finally getting our rental car we headed to cocoa beach and ran straight into traffic. We couldn't figure out why we couldn't find a hotel for friday night in cocoa beach and why there was all this traffic headed that way. While traveling we overheard on the radio that there would be a shuttle launch that night. We were staying close by there that night so we decided to go check it out - something that doesn't happen everyday, especially in Utah. As we got close we pulled over on the Freeway (along with everyone else) for a good view. It was awesome, it lit up the night sky so much that it looked like a nuke went off (not that I really know what that looks like, just seen pictures.....and 24:)).
ON Saturday I FINALLY accomplished one of my life long ambitions. I learned to surf!!!! It was an absolute blast and I can't wait to go again. We surfed for 7 hours straight (8 hour rental), and I can honestly say that by halfway through I was wishing for bigger waves to challenge me and try stuff on. What can I say more, it was a blast! We lucked out since it was the only warm day there.

Sunday we traveled back from cocoa beach to our resort in Orlando. We didn't have too much trouble making it a day of rest since we were fried, tired, and I couldn't move my arms (paddling is quite a workout when you do it for 7 hours). The resort we stayed in was pretty sweet - amazing view and pools, too bad it was in the low 60's - so we utilized the hot tub more than the pool.
The first night we got there we had a sweet sunset - the camera just didn't do justice. Here's some views from our room.


Monday we went to Univeral Studios. We got the park-hopper so we could see all. Just to remind you I have what I call "old womans syndrome" where I get sick on rides (never happened all growing up - I used to laugh at those people!!). After starting out by going on the Hulk twice and then Dueling Dragons I told Aaron I would sit out while he went again or I would barf! Luckily the wanting to throw up part got better as the day went on and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Tuesday was my sit and relax by the pool day. Between the long plane ride and a day by the pool I read Twilight. It was entertaining but honestly people - a girl who doesn't care if she dies - in fact just laughs when a vampire wants to suck her blood - honestly. Even though it was cool I still caught some rest, rays, and relaxation by the pool. When Aaron got back from his convention we went to the Florida Mall where there is a flowrider (I know - I'm obsessive about flowrider). We had a lot of fun, and thanks to Julie (she used to live in Utah and her son was riding) we actually have some pictures and proof. The more I get the hang of this thing, the more I want to go!!


Wednesday was intense. We went to Disney world and once again got a park-hopper pass. In 12 hours we covered Epcot, Hollywood studios, the magic kindgom, back to hollywood studios, and back to epcot. I love the atmosphere of Disney. I was spoiled as a kid and went to Disneyland a lot - so I have good memories when I go somewhere Disney. Although when we got to Magic Kingdom I wished my kids were there......until we say all the tired and honory kids around us screaming.

Thursday Aaron had a little more business to do so I dropped him off and headed for the mall. Usually this is my favorite part, but after walking who knows how many miles the day before, I looked forward to sitting for a while. The Florida Mall is huge though, so I had a lot to explore and take my mind off of my tired feet. We traveled back that afternoon and got in late Thursday night.

A week is a long time. I was so anxious to see my kids in the morning, despite only sleeping for 3 hours. I had a lot of fun but long vacations always seem to remind me how nice home and family is. I am so blessed to have the life I have, and love everything about my stage right now. Although, I was reminded really fast how many times a day, more like minute, I hear my name!!! But despite that I'm happy to be back and look forward to seeing family and celebrating the holidays. Thanks to Grandma & Grandpa Hoopes for watching our kids, keeping the happy, safe, and entertained all week. Me and Aaron sure appreciate it!!!
Universal Studios had these hoodies - I couldn't pass em up.

Interpretation Poll: At our Marriot Resort it was a trek from the parking lot to the main area. As we came down or went up the escalator each day we saw this, and argued our interpretation. Aaron claimed they were fish swimming. I said they were the hind legs of deer - or animals traveling the world. Got any better ideas - love this kind of art :)

7 comments:

Emily said...

How fun!!! I'm jealous, I love Disney. I'm impressed with the surfing skills...Luke and I need to learn! We don't have very great waves for that here though. Hey did you know that you got to see the LAST shuttle that will ever launch? NASA is shutting down their shuttle program for a revamped rocket program. (Just a little NASA trivia from your very own Houston headquarters..) :)

Also, Luke and I loved "Thing 1" and "Thing 2". ;)

Kristin said...

Wow Mel - that looks like an awesome trip! Maybe one day you'll have to take your kids and we can meet you in Florida. Ooh, Christa could meet us too. OK, that's it, we're doing it.

Gunn Family said...

So fun! Glad you guys got away! Every parent needs that! Makes you appreciate all you have!

Lyndsie said...

Looks like you had a blast!!! I am so jealous!!! I would love a week get away right now. But you are right it is always nice to come home to the kids. That is awesome that you got to see the shuttle. That would have been really cool to watch.

Kami said...

Mel, I am so jealous! That sounds like a blast. I love that you learned to serve too, congratulations. You are amazing.

Christa O'Brien said...

I'm in! I'm only 12 hours from Disney driving! Remember my third brides maid? She is a character at Disney World and she said I can get in for free and everything else super cheap...I'm so there!!

PS-I saw a shuttle launch when I was little. I totally agree-it is an awesome sight to behold!

Chris & Missy said...

I am JEALOUS!! What a fun vacation! I hope to get to Florida sometime. And to see an actual rocket launch?!! Sheesh. How neat.