Thursday, May 23, 2013

Whitney's Baptism

I knew baptisms were special.  I looked forward to this big occasion and have tried to prepare Whitney, especially over this last year.  But this day really was an amazing reminder to me of the power of the atonement and the spirit!  Maybe it was because Whitney is my first child to get baptized, maybe it's because she's my sidekick and "glue" to this family functioning.  Really I think it's because she is an amazing daughter of God.  The spirit was so strong for me all day.  She radiated happiness and peace.  It was honestly perfect.  Just like she was.

 The morning was easy going getting ready.  Just enough time for set up, getting the whole clan ready, and of course pictures.







 I held myself mostly together.  I loved the one on one moments we were able to share behind the scenes talking about the big event.  The before and after in the dressing room.  She was the only girl, so we had it all to ourselves.  I'm already a little jealous that Aaron gets to do all that with Travis :)  While Whitney got baptized I watched from the side....in my own private cubby.  It was a little sacred spot for me in that second to be alone witnessing my Husband, my WORTHY husband, baptize our oldest child.  Tears quickly filled my eyes and by the time I got Whitney wrapped in a towel I just hugged her while I bawled.  I told her how proud I was of her and those few seconds of embrace where close to heaven for me.  She just smiled and was obviously proud of herself also.  100% clean!

Uncle Neal gave a talk on the Holy Ghost.  I loved how he emphasized that they say "receive" the Holy Ghost.  It's our job to receive him, to be worthy of the gift.  The spirit is always willing if we live right.  I hope Whitney will understand how amazing this gift really is.  It has guided and directed my life and led me towards happiness.  It has given me comfort when I feel alone, strength when I'm unsure, and direction and light when needed.  The spirit I felt during the meeting and all day was amazing.  I'm so grateful for the atonement to give us hope and the ability to have peace through the knowledge of what the atonement brings!  It was a little bit of heaven in our home that day.

It was so nice to have family and neighbors there to support also.  I think sometimes the big occasions make you appreciate those around you that much more.  The special effort family and neighbors took to show support is priceless.  The Murdocks came all the way from Idaho and it just made the weekend a party.  They are awesome. 

 Bethany and Neal lost precious studying time before finals to join us :)
 Jeff and Selly and Marcus braved the long drive with an infant to come!
 And Grandma and Grandpa Rasmussen came with all their love and support.
What an amazing memorable day!

2 comments:

Jared, Lindsay, and Trae said...

I loved this post Mel!! Congratulations again Whitney! What a special day!

Also, have you zoomed into that last picture of mom to see her facisl expression?? I at first looked closer cause i saw she was wearing one of her new skirts she has told me about, but was pleasantly surprised. Made me smile...must have been a serious discussion.

Jared, Lindsay, and Trae said...

I loved this post Mel!! Congratulations again Whitney! What a special day!

Also, have you zoomed into that last picture of mom to see her facisl expression?? I at first looked closer cause i saw she was wearing one of her new skirts she has told me about, but was pleasantly surprised. Made me smile...must have been a serious discussion.