It's been on my mind frequently the past couple months. What I was doing ten years ago. Ten years ago I attended BYU Jerusalem. Today in sacrament my neighbor sang a solo. It was my favorite song, one that grabs at my heart every time I hear it. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.
Every morning while running I realize it's not truly just the exercise or even mental health I am gaining from it, but the connection with nature and being outside that I love. There is something about the outdoors that puts life into perspective for me. Maybe a river, perhaps watching the leaves turn colors, or a sunrise/sunset. It sends a reminder down my nerves of the creator. Why I'm here. How blessed I am. I felt the same way tonight watching my kids play on the trampoline with their dad outside while I held my baby, glancing at the sunsets reflection on the gorgeous mountains.
Tonight as I pulled my Jerusalem journal out and read some of my feelings I made the connection. That same awe I feel outside, is just a glimpsing reminder of how often and strong I felt the spirit while in Jerusalem. I never prayed so much, felt so much, accomplished so much in so short a time. Honestly, it changed me deep down. Deep enough that a decade later, while listening to a 10 year old sing a song that I once sang in the JC Center, overlooking the old city, it was all I could do to not cry. Ironically, the entry in my Journal talked about how much I loved that song. How connected I felt to some of those words.
One more random thought. Today I taught my primary class about talents. As I read my journal I was reminded of some things I wanted to become. I still haven't done many things on my list, and it seems my list keeps getting longer while my freedom to do (or develop) them keeps shrinking :) I hope I don't loose the insight and motivations that I felt back then. I hope my life the next ten years proves as good if not better than the last. I have no doubt time will probably go by twice as fast! And there you have it, my inner ramblings. Good night.
Fun Box
3 months ago




3 comments:
Great "ramblings" mel! We love that songs, too one of our favs.
That was a great post to read. I did cry during that song in church. She did such a good job. :)
Thanks for sharing. Got me thinking too..
Post a Comment